Saturday, October 29, 2011

An American Celeb

I survived China for 2 weeks. I have been back for 4 days and am still waking up early due to the time change—jet lag is no joke!

             Leaving for China I was more nervous than I thought I would be. Once I got to Hong Kong  and had my first Chinese Lunch, a cheeseburger, sweet potato fries & Coke zero (Yes-you read that right!) I begin to see how lucky I am to be able to experience a whole different country and the nerves subdued. 

              My first day at the factory was a bit overwhelming because I still did not feel  like I knew enough to be of assistance. Throughout my two week trip (working at the factory 13 of the 14 days I was there) I learned A LOT and was able to make more decisions by the end of the 2 weeks. That being said one of the most rewarding moments came during my last 4 days in China. My boss came back to LA 4 days before me, therefore I was the one everybody was coming to when there was a questions or problem regarding a shoe. I had to figure out an answer for them—whether I emailed my boss and waited for her to wake up and respond (remember China is 15 hours ahead of LA) or make the call on my own.  I definitely had to email my boss for a lot of the issues, but the handful of times that I could answer or solve the problem made me feel so good. It is those moments I have to remember when I go through the hard times that are ahead because believe me there are plenty of hard times in my future. But if a job was easy, would it really be that rewarding when you have an “A-Haa” moment?

              Now onto some of the non-job related experiences that a blonde haired, blue eyed Texan had while in China!
1.       Food: For the most part I did very well! We ate mostly at Hotel Restaurants or really nice ones that were just fine.  I tried and actually liked most things I tried. I am now a fan of Shrimp Walnut lettuce wraps, which for me is unheard of! I think I ate Italian food more than anything. I ate McDonalds (and got pictures) 3 times. Yes- the McDonalds tasted the same! My one China Food potential nightmare came once my boss had left and two of the technicians at the factory asked me to go to dinner. It was a Saturday night and they were so excited to take me out. We went to a real Korean Restaurant where they ordered a massive amount of food. They didn’t MAKE me try anything but I was polite and tried some different foods. What they called a “Korean Pizza” was put in front of me and I thought I would at least try it (like I had done everything else) until I saw a tentacle on it and I couldn’t do it. Over all my first Korean Food experience wasn’t a total nightmare! I survived to tell about it!
2.       Sticking out: Across the street from my hotel (a very nice Sheraton) was a “Super Store” which has about 5 floors of randomness. One Sunday we got back to the Hotel about 5 and I thought I would venture out and cross the street to go shopping. I left the hotel at 5:30 and was back by 6. Once I got across the street safely (Chinese drivers are crazy) and entered the Super Store I felt like something was wrong with me. Everybody stared at me. I was so uncomfortable that I left and went back to comfort of my hotel room and ordered room service.
3.       Another related story: After dinner with the factory technicians they took me to a mall so I could buy my Grandma a tea cup (that was what she asked me to bring her back…if you know her don’t tell her I got her one because I’m surprising her with it for Christmas!) While searching for the perfect tea cup I got “rear ended” by a shopping cart. So naturally I turn around and a Dad smiled at me and motioned for me to wave at his 3 year old daughter in the cart—Who am I? An American Celeb? I just smiled and waved…soaking up my one moment of celeb-ness!
On a serious note, China was great, the people were great and I get to go back in January (word on the street anyway)!  The hardest part of being there for 2 weeks was not the food or the culture difference, but not being able to talk to anybody back home, specially my mom whom I talk to everyday!

      Until I have something interesting to tell whoever reads this, DREAM BIG because ….. Dreams DO come true, ask Cinderella…..and ME!

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your adventures and so glad you're back in America. Can't wait to see the pictures... and to SEE YOU!

    ReplyDelete