Friday, November 11, 2011

Dreams Change...

Not only do dreams come true, but dreams change—and I believe they are supposed to change.

Yesterday I quit what was supposed to be by dream job: a shoe designer. Calm down and keep reading, please!
My whole life I have said I wanted to be a shoe designer. But in reality I didn’t know what it took or what the job even entailed. I moved to Los Angeles with my dream in sight and set out to live it. After I graduated my first program at FIDM, I really did have second thoughts about even applying for the Footwear Program, but because I have such a great support system of encouragers, I applied. I was very excited when I got accepted and thought that meant that it was meant to be and that I really did want to be a shoe designer.
I 100% loved the Footwear Program. I loved my teachers, friends and of course the school atmosphere. The knowledge I gained from my years at FIDM can never be taken away nor the experiences and friendships. And all of those things have made me the person I am today and will allow me to find my new “dream job.”
I’ve been struggling since I started my job (and honestly throughout the Footwear Program) because I didn’t love going to work. Sure traveling to New York and China seems exciting but the whole time I was away all I could think about was being anywhere else and doing anything else. I was not happy sitting at a desk sketching shoes, or trying to predict the next season’s trends. It has been a hard thing to admit to myself, much less everybody else. But here it is….
Kimberly Hart is having a quarter-life crisis (it's okay to laugh) and does NOT want to be a shoe designer when she grows up.
My new dream: to own my own shoe boutique in Austin, Texas and help ladies find that perfect shoe for whatever occasion. I guess it is true, you can take the girl out of the honky tonk, but you can’t take the honky tonk out of the girl!  Los Angeles isn’t for me. I’m a true Texas girl who is ready to take on whatever life has in store for her in Texas!!
What happens now? I try to find somebody to take over my lease in LA so I can move back to Austin. I will find a job that I love and most importantly one that I am happy at!
As always…Dreams DO come true, just ask Cinderella….and me in a few years!
Oh I forgot to mention: Since I don’t have a job, I finally get to go to Dancing With The Stars this week!! Talk about finding the silver lining…

1 comment: